Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Butterick shopping bag complete!

I just finished my Butterick 5635 shopping bag for a friend, and I like how it came out!  If you remember my last post, I was sewing this for a special friend I met through a ladies bible study.  In that post I also thought this would be an easy sew, except for the binding, and BOY WAS I RIGHT!!

I think most people will do well with binding, but me and binding just don't seem to get along!  I've tried many different methods, but it seems like nothing works.  I finally figured out on this project that I was sewing my stitching in the center of the binding as opposed to within 1/8 inch of the narrow edge.  That made all the difference in the world, and eliminated a lot of my frustration thereafter!!

Anyhow, here is a quick reminder of the pattern and fabric choice:


And the finished result:


This is Bag B in a quilting cotton, and it is BIG (24" W by 15" L)!  I do love the size of it, though, because I am sure it will be able to hold many items (though not anything super heavy because it is not interfaced).  There were only three pattern pieces for either Bag A or Bag B, so it is relatively simple to sew.

I will make a correction to something I stated in my last post, though.  This bag does not have a pocket on the inside.  The pocket for the bag is on the outside!  And it is not a true pocket, but a flap with a facing, to be used in folding the bag up into a tiny pouch!  How cool is that?!?

Of course I didn't use that feature so I can't comment on it for my project.  I really like having a pocket on the inside of a big bag, soooooo...I added my own!  I used the pattern piece included to square off the fabric and make my own pocket, then attached it to the inside of the bag.  It was simple enough to do, and I'm sure my friend will appreciate it.


I also liked the idea of the Velcro closure, so I inserted Velcro on the inside of the pocket, and on the bag so that my friend could slip any items she wanted to keep separate from the larger bag into a smaller area (gum, candy, coins, sunglasses, etc.)



I also decided to do something a little different on this pocket.  If you notice, you can see that I put my label on the pocket, as I usually do.  But, I also placed another "something" underneath my label.





I decided to place a scripture from the Holy Bible on the pocket because my friend who is receiving this shopping bag is such an inspiration to me.  She is a lovely stay-at-home mom of two with such a kind, encouraging spirit.  She has helped me to grow in my relationship with God, and has spoken many an uplifting word to me during the times I have known her.  The word special does not begin to explain her, but this scripture gets very close to describing the beauty of being in her presence.  

It is my hope that as she carries this bag to the store with her when she shops in Texas, she will glance inside, smile, and know she is loved! 

 Whoever says that it is more blessed to give than it is to receive is right!  Ever since I finished this bag, I have been excited about giving it away!!  In fact, if you love to sew, sewing a gift for someone else is a special privilege that not everyone can do.  You don't have to be the most advanced seamstress, or have perfect technique.  You just have to be willing to do something nice for someone else.  Believe me, it will be greatly appreciated!

I plan on giving this gift with a card, and finding some goodies to put inside also!  All in all, this was a great sew.  I would recommend this pattern, just be aware of the sizing of the bag.  If you don't care for big bags, then you will want to sew Bag A.  Here is a photo of me holding it:


That's all for now.  As you know, I am trying to squeak in one more project for March, and I can tell you right now that it is my daughter's Easter dress.  I know it's a tall order to finish by Saturday (4 days), but I am committed to getting started and seeing where things go.  I'll keep you posted on my progress!

Stay sew-filled!!







3 comments:

  1. Great job on the bag!
    Your hair looks great by the way!
    Also, love your pattern sales in the right sidebar--I haven't been to Joann's for a while, maybe Friday at lunch is the time for me to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great bag and very nice review! I love your labels too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea the bag was so BIG until I saw the photo with you holding it. Very nice but not sure I could carry the thing with shopping items in it. I did get a kick out of the second label (probably not what you had in mind). Watch Lark Rise to Candleford--a BBC series. One character "Thomas Brown" would love this quote :)

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!